I thought the color of this dining table refashion I made for a client of Farmhouse Couture was very Christmasy looking so I decided to post it this Christmas week.
Linda was bored with her dining table and tired of the factory finish. She envisioned a barn red table to go with her Tuscan farm style decor. To be honest I wasn't sure if a red dining table would look very good, but I ended up really liking how it turned out.
I agreed to go ahead and do the project, secretly biting my nails about how a red painted dining table would look. The fun thing about doing creative projects for other people is that sometimes you have to get out of your comfort zone and stretch yourself a little, forcing yourself to grow creatively.
Sanding off the original finish.
This is the finish after three coats of Martha Stewarts' Barn red paint, a dark walnut glaze to tone it down, and three coats of rub on polyurethane to protect the finish.
Barn red table
Martha Stewart barn red flat latex paint
Minwax dark walnut stain
Minwax rub-on polyurethane in satin.
1. Sand off old varnish with a palm sander.
2. Paint table with three coats of red paint. Use a tack cloth to remove dust between coats.
3. Sand the edges of the table, distressing it until you like it.
4. Rub some walnut stain into the sanded parts and into the grooves of the piece of furniture to age it. Start with a little stain . It's very easy to mess up and overdo this part.
5. Finish off with a few coats of the rub on polyurethane. Remember to use the tack cloth to remove any debris between coats or you will have a bumpy surface.
It's beautiful. Way to Go!ReplyDelete
I love this red table! Nice work Justine.ReplyDelete
This is gorgeous - I love the pop of color! great job.ReplyDelete
Thanks so much for enclosing the video on Santa's workshop. I just watched it and it broke my heart. So sad and to think it is going on today in 2011 (almost 2012). Thanks again for showing it.ReplyDelete
This red table is gorgeous, love it.ReplyDelete
Wow, you actually did it yourself! Very well done and nice choice of color.ReplyDelete