Image Map

Friday, June 14, 2013

Announcing Sewing The Trends: A Blog Series



There's no doubt I love fashion. But I don't really love spending lots of money on it. Since reading the book Overdressed, which should be required reading for anyone who is thinking about why they should sew their own clothes, I've become more determined than ever to cut down on my fashion chain store purchases.

Of course with 3 daughters at home, two of whom are quite fashion conscious themselves, I often have no choice to shop these places, as I can't possibly make everything for everyone, and I don't have an unlimited budget for fashion. But we still love it.


I'm really making an effort to make myself more clothes that are both more practical and stylish at the same time.  I was spending a lot of time making things like vintage style dresses from tablecloths, which ended up sitting in my closet, while I grabbed some of my simpler, more modern fashions I had sewn like knit dresses and dolman tops, to wear on a daily basis. While I still love making fancy dresses I just don't really need a WHOLE closet full of them!

I thought it would be fun to invite some other bloggers to join me in giving themselves a challenge: 

Sew something for themselves that is based on the current season's fashion trends. 

Sure, we can go out and buy it because fashion is now cheaper than ever, but wouldn't it be more satisfying to recreate today's fashionable looks on our own?

It feels pretty awesome when you make something for yourself and the salesgirl at a boutique goes crazy over it, saying they have something a little bit similar on the floor, but yours is SO MUCH better, especially because you made it! 

I hope you stop by starting Monday June 17 until Friday June 28 to see what my fabulous guest posters have come up with!

Here is the talented lineup of bloggers who are participating for the Summer 2013 edition of Sewing The Trends:
I am so excited to have them as guests!

12 comments:

  1. 'Can't wait to be inspired! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving all the bloggers I keep finding out about from all these amazing sewing events online. I have been more inspired than ever to work on my sewing skills, which are minimal at best, and as they improve, I'm sure I'll eventually make something I can even wear in public! I can't wait to see what's in store with this event. Thank you for hosting it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I started a Facebook sewing group where we all do our take on a fashion trend, and our first challenge of black & white was a success! Right now, I'm working on a pencil skirt for our second challenge (http://vintagezest.blogspot.com/2013/05/pretty-fabric-finds-pencil-skirt.html).

    I can't wait to see the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Justine, looking forward to reading the series! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely amazing. Am so looking forward to this https://www.facebook.com/SassySewingBees

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I will surely follow closely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea for a sewing series! Looking forward to seeing how real people interpret the catwalk fashions and make them for themselves. Deby at So Sew Easy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I can't wait to see the creations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so exciting :) looking forward to read them !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea...looking forward to see everyone's creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post. I had never heard of the book "Overdressed" until now. Just went to amazon and added ti to my wish list. It seems to have alot of positive reviews. I don't have kids, but getting back into sewing. Nevertheless, I'm still on a budget, have clothes that I could re-fashion (once I learn how). No rush. Just enjoying the journey of learning and taking on one project at a time. :-). Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...