Image Map

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

My grey dolman sleeved sweatshirt Simplicity 4020


Simplicity 4020 from 2007, View A

 I made a grey sweatshirt!
Adding to my repertoire of basics I could probably just buy at any inexpensive shop.
Sewing basics that look store bought is actually quite a challenge.
It really makes me look at my store bought basics to figure out how clothing is mass produced.
I followed the directions on the pattern and doubled the fabric for the waistband and wrist cuffs which probably wasn't the best idea, considering how bulky the sweatsuit fabric feels at the waist because it's doubled.
If this top was mass produced it would have had matching grey ribbing at the cuffs and waist, making it less bulky.
Knit ribbed fabric is a great fabric to have in your stash if you sew with knits. You can use it for waistbands, neck bindings, and cuffs.
If I had used on the neck on my sweatshirt, it wouldn't look a little stretched out. I didn't have any rib knit in grey.
Knit ribbing is sometimes hard to find in fabric stores. I buy in the garment district where it's sold by fabric wholesalers.
An example of rib knit

The good news is you can always buy a ribbed knit top at the thrift shop, and use that for ribbing.

See how thick my sweater is? It's very warm!
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that you mention it yourself I feel okay saying this..... give the 'waist' seam a good iron so it is straight and not 'bubbly' - that is going to do wonders for the 'store bought' look ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made a dolman sleeve knit top myself a couple of weeks ago! It must be in the air. I love yours. They are so comfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is really cute actually- props to you for giving it a go... i'm still a little hesitant to sew with knits. Did you use a zig zag stitch, or any special foot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a serger but the zig zag stitch also works just fine.

      Delete
  5. I really like it! It looks so wearable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty , I would like one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so much nicer than a regular sweatshirt! That is definitely a staple to the wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job. Buy some white ribbing to keep on hand and dye to mnatch or coordinate as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the tip on upcycling rib knit from the thrift shop!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the simplicity of this. Thanks for sharing the pattern as well. See my Little Black Dress on the Make It, Wear It.
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2012/11/the-little-black-dress.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm featuring this for Make It Wear It tomorrow! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...