Image Map

Friday, September 16, 2011

Butterick 6582 and Sew Chic Saturday

Here is my weekly creation to share:
To post your own projects today scroll down to the bottom of this post.

When I see these snazzy vintage drawings from old patterns I get lured in. I guess it's a combination of optimism and wishful thinking that gets me to buy into the idea my finished dress might actually look this screaming hot on me! We can dream can't we?
Pattern: Butterick 6582 1960 Retro reissue
Fabric: Navy and white stretch woven gingham with white piping on neck and bows.
Construction notes: I had to redraft the neckline because it didn't cross in the center front and the pleats messed up the drape so I removed them and just made the shoulders a bit narrower.I also skipped the facinghs and used bias tape instead . I sandwiched some piping in between the bias and the dress.


 I tried to do my hair in a forties style here but it just ended up looking kind of dorky! However, I DO like how the dress turned out!
Here I am later in the weekend at a party in my new dress. When you wear a dress like this, you have to put on your "DIVA" attitude and just work it, bows and all!




Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. I love this , I love Gingham. The bow detail is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is fab. I watched a movie recently La Mi en Rose about Edith Piaf, in one scene her assistant is wearing a dress with only one shoulder strap and I feel in love with it instantly. It looks like you may be able to do that with this dress. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress turned out gorgeous! Believe me, I have all of these and that was what lured me in with them in the first place, but I have found that all need alterations to work for me. You did great! This is in my spring Box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your dress is beautiful as usual! I love the bows on the shoulders. Thanks for hosting, this is fun thanks for the invitation!

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! The bows are so pretty and I think your '40's hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your blog new look by the way! HAppy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, this looks fantastic! I have this pattern but haven't made it up yet ... now I think I'll do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I love the retro style and your navy and white gingham is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks gorgeous Justine! I have this pattern and have tried the full skirted version but couldn't make the bodice work - the neckline is way too high for me and the pleats are weird. Your alterations have made it look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Justine, I've seen this pattern before, but I really want to make this now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This dress is seriously so cute. I love the material you chose! I just found your blog through a blog hop, I love it. If you're interested please take a look at my blog at www.romanianprincess.com and if you like it PLEASE be a follower!

    XoXo Nicole Mariana

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the gingham and bows. Great dress!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...