Project: A fifties style peasant blouse
Pattern: Advance 5867, Undated but approximately early 50's. Bought from a vintage shop for 5$
Fabric: Silk charmeuse, 1 yard 6$, bias trim bought at garage sales and lace from downtown LA and trim approximately 1$
Time to make: About 4 hours because of all the hand stitching.
Total Cost: About 12$
I borrowed this great Mexican skirt from the Santa Paula Theatre where I sometimes work as a costume designer. I'm showing it in my vintage fashion show on Saturday. Since this is a charity event and I am not wanting to spend a fortune making things for it , I decided to go through my fabrics and patterns to make a matching blouse.
I decided to use a silk charmeuse that I thought matched the skirt trimmed with some bias tape and lace, all of which I had on hand. The lace was bought from the FIDM Scholarship store. It was a steal, 4 dollars for a whole paddle of it. ( About 25 yards.) I love this pickstitching detail I have seen on other garments. It gives kind of a pretty handmade look. In this case it looks a little too handmade!
(My 8 year old Lily just told me, " You have to work on your hand sewing Mom!")
|A casing created with bias tape with elastic pulled through.|