Image Map

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Japanese Pattern Pea Coat Muslin

Here is the muslin for Richard's pea coat. The shoulders are too wide and the armholes are totally screwed up. I have some work to do.

If you've never worked with Japanese patterns, you are in for a shock. You get lured in by the beautiful photography,
 Buy the book, and when you open the pattern sheet:
BAM,
It hits you!
ALL OF THE DIRECTIONS ARE IN JAPANESE.... DUH!!!!!
And you can't read Japanese....
But at least these patterns were numbered, unlike some of the books I've worked with where you have to try to look for the same Kanji characters on each piece.
Hmm..... two tiny pages to put together a tailored peacoat ? I will have to get out my sewing books to help me with this.
I had to make the pattern a lot bigger because the largest size in the book is a 38 mens, which is what my 19 year old son who weighs 150 pounds wears. Yeah....
 pretty small for an American man.....
Here are some of the adjustments I made to the pattern.......
I'm cutting out the fabric tomorrow so stay tuned!
I work quickly...

Isn't this a pretty book?

On another subject entirely,
Today I am guest posting about sewing 
VINTAGE BARBIE PATTERNS

Stop by and visit!

If you would like to see more sewing and craft related posts consider adding Sew Country Chick to your rss feed reader. Or follow with Facebook, Twitter, or Friend Connect!

2 comments:

  1. This is fascinating, Justine! I can't wait to see the next step and your husband's finished coat at some point. You amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justine,
    You are such an amazing sewer.. I would have run and cried ,when I opened the book.;lol.
    I know it will be beautiful.. I can't wait to see it.. And I know your hubby
    will be very apprecative of your hard work.. And that means alot.
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...