Image Map

Friday, June 24, 2011

A Forties Six Gore Skirt Shirtwaist Dress Made From a Frumpy 90's Frock






I have been participating in some of the weekly challenges at The Sew Weekly. This weeks challenge was to refashion an old and neglected garment.This dress above started out as a shirtdress from the 90's. It was really long and boring looking before I refashioned it  We went to the old Fillmore train station near our home to take these photos.



The above two photos are what the dress looked like when I brought it home. I liked the fabric and the fit was good so I removed the top bodice, cut a new skirt from the old skirt fabric, and drafted an under bust waist band. I also shortened the sleeves and added some vintage rick- rack trim.

My Design Inspiration:
A forties six gore shirtwaist dress.
Source: google.com via






I drafted a basic skirt pattern. For a basic skirt drafting tutorial click here.


I slashed the skirt were I wanted the gore seam to be.

I traced the pieces to another larger paper and added the flare starting just below my hip line. Then I added my seam allowances.

Photobucket


19 comments:

  1. Love that dress Justine. Great pictures with the train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome upcycle... it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. o. my. word!! are you kidding me?!? this looks like you walked off a 1940's movie set! i LOVE it! and it looked so...um, Amish before? but way to see it's potenial! i think i would've walked right by...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great upcycle! SO much cuter than the original (but that fabric is adorable. Good find!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning refashion, I love it! Great photo shoot too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this refashion! So fabulous! And the photos are so much fun too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress is darling! You are a wonderful seamstress! I get too frustrated when I am sewing clothes to ever be successful at tailored things - BUT you do a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, Justine! The dress is so flattering on you. I've lately begun to refashion too. It's so rewarding. I'm so happy to have found your blog. Now, I'm going to check out more of your posts. It's very nice to meet you!

    Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you did with it, Justine! And those photos are so much fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking dress! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Frumpy to funky! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm completely inspired by this! Am always finding ugly frumpy dresses in lovely fabrics in charity shops - now I've an inkling of what to do with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Beautiful refashion! I love the red details around the edges and through the bodice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really fun and cute. I love the location shots at the train! Better than the Vogue Patterns Magazine which used to have great location backgrounds..but no more. Also, I love your shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. well done. Your talent amazes me.

    love~mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is fantastic! A completely fabulous refashion - you would never guess what it looked like before!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Justine, I've just been going through your posts over at the Refashion Co-op. You are very talented! This would have to be my favourite!!! It's a very flattering dress. I can remember my mother wearing dresses like this in the 50s. And that beauty case brings back memories... I still have mine from the 60s. It looks almost identical to yours. Fashion trends tended to stay around for a lot longer in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, fantastic! I'm so impressed by your vision and execution. And a little jealous, because I love the finished product! :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...