Image Map

Thursday, April 26, 2012

My Visit With Lady Danburry

Something I love about running a creative blog is the interesting people I have met through it.
I have been following Lady Danburry's fashion designs on her blog Thinking With Shapes for about six months. As well as having a cool fashion design blog, Lady Danburry also has a shop were she makes everything she sells.

  I  appreciate her sense of style and am always impressed by her original designs, which she posts almost on a daily basis. This girl can sew crazy fast.
Follow me on a little trip through Lady Danburry's world.

Designs from the Thinking In Shapes blog:

Concrete
A custom suit. These are some serious tailoring skills here!
Trousers and a blouse designed and sewn by Lady Danbury in her online shop. 

  I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to visit and be the houseguest of the gracious Lady Danburry and her husband Drew last week when I attended the SNAP Conference in Utah. I had fun chatting with her and Drew about raising chickens among other things! Drew is a musician and barber who owns a classic style barber shop where he gives straight razor shaves and wears a chic white coat designed for him by his wife.
  One of the things that struck me about Lady Danburry was how young she was. I knew from her blog that she previously owned a tailor shop, and has had numerous commissions as well as running her online shop, so I assumed she was older.
  When I visited her studio I noticed she was working on a wedding gown. 
"Is this your first wedding gown?" I asked her.
 "Oh no."she answered. 
"How many have you made?" I asked her. 
"Oh about twenty."
  Twenty bridal gowns ? I was amazed that this young lady, about the same age as most people are when they are just graduating design school and starting out, was already a seasoned and highly skilled designer.
She was taught to sew by her mother who was a costume designer and has been sewing clothes since she was a little girl. She is home and self taught. Proof that you don't always need an expensive degree to do what you love.
Here is a peek inside the studio of the Lady Danbury: 
Her mom made these fabric storage shelves for her as well as the cutting tables. What a cool mom! Did I mention Lady Danbury's sister is Jess from the Running With Scissors children's sewing and design blog? Can I please be adopted into this family? 
She sews on industrial machines like this Singer serger. Industrial machines are the best but you need a lot of space for them as they come attached to big, clunky tables.
This Consew is a tank and will sew through practically anything!
Sketches of designs from a recent fashion show.
I liked this  photo area. It's nice to have a dedicated spot like this to photograph finished designs.
Lady Danbury at work. 


Pin It Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. It was so nice to meet you at SNAP and it looks like you had a wonderful time outside of the conference as well. How perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great having you over Justine! Thank you so much for this lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, that custom suit is FABULOUS....and I just love thoset trousers. It's hard to find trousers like that...and I love that they have such a long leg. Those look really stylish and feminine ;) :) Love and hugs from the ocean shores of CAlifornia, Heather ;) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...