I found a side table at a rummage sale for ten dollars. It had an ugly finish on it but I could tell it was well made.
I also had a box of old sheet music found at an estate sale. Having made a few crafty projects with it already I was itching to try a bigger project.
I decided to give the table an antique black slightly distressed finish with the top of the table covered with the antique sheet music from the 1920's.
I also found this old locker basket recently . I think I will put some polyurtethane on it and use it in my kitchen as a bread basket.
First, sand off the original finish. You don't have to go crazy like I did and sand it completely either.
I spray painted the piece black.
I covered the top with the sheet music and let it dry. then I trimmed the edges and added some polyurethane to the top to seal it.
I then sanded it up and rubbed walnut colored stain onto the sanded parts to make it look old. The music was already faded so I didn't have to age it.
I would have to say I like how this turned out!