Image Map

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Family Day in Santa Barbara


A funky RV parked at Santa Barbara beach
Sunday Richard and I and the girls decided to go to Santa Barbara. The weather has been gorgeous here in the Southland so we decided to get out of the house. What luck that we have had such gorgeous weather the week my sewing machine has been in the shop! I've been spending a lot of time outside and thought I might share some photos my daughter took with my new camera. Santa Barbara is about an hour and a half north of Los Angeles. It's a great place to spend the day with your family. There is a nice zoo, the beach, a botanic garden, good places to eat, a bike path and nice places to shop. And of course there is the Mission which is one of the most beautiful of all the Missions in California in my opinion. In July there is a weeklong Fiesta where there are traditional Mexican Ballet Folklorico dancers as well as a parade and rodeo.

Riding the historic carousel built c. 1910

The carousel building across from the beach

Hunting for shells at the seashore.

A surfer at the beach


Father Junipero Serra One of the monks who founded the Missions when this stretch of California was a lonely outpost of Spains' empire.

The Mission Fountain

Mission Santa Barbara 1782
The beautiful interior of the church.

Mission Santa Barbara


Playing at the Mission Fountain

A cross in the mission cemetary


Tombstone for Sister Vicentia who died in 1868

Stopping for a coconut macaroon on State Street

A peek inside Anthropologie on State Street

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...