Image Map

Friday, September 28, 2012

White Sheet Challenge : Purple Pumpkin


This week's challenge on Project Run & Play was to use a plain white sheet and make something with it.
Oh before I go any further I have to invite you over there to vote for your favorite kids design.
And if you decide to vote for me, thank you in advance...
I can't wait to see what the other contestants come up with myself. They are all so good...
After making a black outfit last week and a muted dusky pink one with black trim previously, this week I knew I had to make something colorful and fun for Genevieve and for me. 
Her favorite color is purple and I loved the idea of purple up against our giant pumpkins in the garden. Purple and orange are complimentary colors.
I'm getting ready for Halloween early !
 I dyed each piece of the dress separately before I sewed them together to create this ombre type effect. I used the same color but concentrated it in less water to get the darker colors at the hem. I actually painted the dye on in different concentrations to give it a striped effect. I mixed some purple and royal blue RIT dye together to create this shade of bluish purple.  This was the second dress I made. The first one is at the end of the post. I am still on the fence about which one I like more! The kerchief was made the first go round and has some gold painted flowers on it.
The dress is a high low style and I made the pattern from a maxi dress pattern I created this summer. The high low effect is more apparent in the first dress I made. 
I made a lot of mistakes on that first dress with the dye job so I made this one and added a ruffle to the bottom and made the skirt fuller.
Gigi loves to twirl around in it and the purple color is just right for fall. Since we don't get much cool weather here in California until late November I know she will wear this little dress a lot during the warm days to come!





Now here is my first version below. On this one I hand painted some gold flowers onto the dress. 












Pin It

10 comments:

  1. You have out done yourself with this outfit! I love it...so creative. A definite winner! I just voted...can't wait for the results. Love your blog. Take care, Pattyrae

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so cute! What a fun dress, love the little ruffles and the head scarf, to precious, such a great model.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun Justine! I really like that high low effect a lot! I can't wait for Natalie to start walking so I make more dresses with little design touches like that...okay I can wait actually. :)

    Cute pumpkin pictures! I've been thinking of using pumpkins in pictures too. They are so cheery and so fall. Your right, the purple on the orange is a great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't decide which one I like the most, either. I LOVE the big twirly floofy skirt of the first dress, it's very gypsyish. I love the gold in the second dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we both had purple in our looks for week #3 :)
    you are so much better at dying fabrics than I am ~ I tried ombre & it didn't really work for me.
    I like the gold flowers, you didn't ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the ruffles!!! A gorgeous dress, Justine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dress #1 was my very favorite, I can't believe you didn't win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw this on Project run and play (sadly too late to vote) it it the cutest dress and so should have won!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diya. I dyed the ruffles and sleeves in a higher concentration of the dye, then watered it down and dyed the rest of the dress. I saved some of the darker dye and painted it onto the dress to give a shaded look. Unfortunately I got kicked off the competition with this dress! I really like it though and am making the pattern to sell.

      On Friday, Octo

      Delete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...