Image Map

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Pattern Making Draft And Sew Along In November!


Well, I just barely squeaked by to the next week on Project Run & Play by three votes last night. That was a nerve-wracking experience to say the least. I actually thought the Boho Chic look by Two Little Hooligans was really cute and didn't deserve the chopping block. I was in last place all day yesterday and at one point I turned into a crybaby over the whole thing and my daughter had to comfort me and promise me she would get her friends to vote for her pathetic old mom. I had no idea I was so sensitive.  I now know not to make anything in black again. The details on my little black jacket and pants were hardly noticeable in the photos. 

I want to announce a little project I will be doing here on the blog in November. I have so enjoyed making my own patterns for the girls and don't design much for myself.
I'd like to develop a small library of basic patterns drafted to fit myself perfectly and I am going to be working through the patternmaking projects in the book :

Design It Yourself Clothes By Cal Patch.

This is a fabulous and simple to follow book on basic pattern making and I can't wait to get started!
I will be announcing more details from the Draft A Long soon but it will be starting in November and I will be working through each basic project every two weeks and posting about it every week. We will have a link party and a Flickr group too.

If you are like me and this book has been sitting on your shelf for awhile I would love for you to join in with me if you want to try pattern making. I have a few pattern making books, and this is the best one for beginners in my opinion. And the projects are cute. 
If you sew for your kids and not for yourself, I advise you to give sewing for yourself a try! I know the kids are so cute and fun to show off on the blog and all, but you deserve to make yourself something too! Who cares if your not in the best shape and don't want to sew for yourself or whatever other reason you don't do it. Once you start making your own clothes, you develop a better relationship to your body as you start to understand how important fit is and how badly most clothing in stores actually fits normal, imperfect bodies.
 If I haven't convinced you to design for yourself you can also use this book to make the same patterns but for kids. The only difference is you won't need to add darts to the kids patterns because kids don't have much difference between their waist and hips, therefore don't need darts. But most of these style will be adorable as kids clothes too. They have a slightly Japanese feel to them.

So, anyone interested?

Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I guess I know what I'm asking for for Christmas! I need to learn to draft patterns. I'm a great seamstress, but I have no idea how to go about making something without having a pre-made pattern to start with. I have no problems altering patterns, either, it's just I don't know how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got that book and have made a basic skirt block which I've made about 5 skirts from and they are my most favourite and comfortable skirts. I tried making a shirt block but failed in my measurements so I would love to work through the process with you! I really want to develop my pattern drafting skills but sometimes get scared and unsure about myself. I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That book's been sitting on my shelf for a while now, but I haven't use it. Count me in...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking it's really time to do some me sewing. I think it's been before kids since I have! I'll have to look into this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup sitting on the shelf collecting dust like you said. Count me in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am - I'll order the book from amazon tonight. Thanks so much for doing this - I have wanted to draft a pattern for a while now and it will be so much fun to have a group of us doing this at once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm...maybe I should order that book for my birthday! :) Glad you're still in PR&P and glad you're learning each week - you're right about the black not showing details on camera but I'm sure it was totally awesome in person. I made the same mistake with red in my season - it just does NOT photograph well. Excited to see what you do with a sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a reason to buy another sewing book lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished reading this book! I haven't started any projects. I would love to start drafting with the support and insight of fellow sewists... count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darn it all! I just promised myself and posted on my blog that I would not start any new projects until January when some of my old projects are under my belt. Rats! At least I can look at your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea. I've just become a little more ambitious in drafting my own patterns and could use some more official help. I will definitely check out this book.
    P.S. - My daughter and I both voted for you of our own free will. Glad you're still in it and can't wait to see what you make this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What!? I had no idea you were in last for awhile, I thought your Coco Chanel was awesome!! This sew-along sounds very cool too. I'm definitely interested in learning more about sewing for myself and women. I'll look into the book. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better luck next time, though I personally like black. It's just that some designs really can't be noticed with a black fabric. Good luck on your project this coming November. Oh, BTW, that book is really good. I bought it the same time as I bought my brother sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY! can't wait to watch from the sidelines and act as fairy godmother if needed! this is gonna be fun...

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...