Image Map

Friday, April 29, 2011

Quick Mens Shirt Refashion:Peasant Tunic

I'm sure some of you might think this shirt looked fine before but for some reason I hardly ever wear button down shirts. This was a men's shirt I bought at the thrift shop. It was from the Liberty of London line that Target released last year and I  loved the fabric and wanted to make it wearable. Here is a quick tutorial to make a mens shirt feminine.




Also sew the shirt placket down on both sides so it doesn't open anymore.


Don't sew the elastic yet. Just mark  the sewing line for it.


Leave a small gap to pull elastic through. You can figure out how long to make the elastic. Pull the elastic through with a safety pin and sew the ends together.


Don't make the elastic too tight! Pull the elastic as you sew it. These stitches look really messy but you won't really notice them once the elastic is all gathered.


Leave a gap in the casing here to to thread your arm elastic through then sew the elastic together.


As you can see it's a feminine and easy to throw on top now! 


However, to improve the fit I would suggest taking in and narrowing the area around the sleeve and side seam a little bit next time before you sew the elastic down. I was too lazy to remove all those zig zag stitches to take off the elastic so this will have to do. This would also be a cut top do make for a little girl.
UPDATE:
Well I HATED how this looked on me so I took the whole thing apart and took in the side seams and made the armhole smaller.


 So here is the FINAL result. I just couldn't let this beautiful Liberty fabric go to waste so I just kept plugging away!






6 comments:

  1. very nice idea, good way to make it more useable. Like the scoop neck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I definitely think scoop necks are more flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute. We featured your idea on our blog!

    http://mfta.wordpress.com/2011/05/19/upcycling-fashion/

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Problem! I'll look out for other tutorials form your blog to post on to ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! I could have sworn I’ve been to this web site prior to but right after searching via a few of the publish I recognized it is new to me. Anyways, I’m certainly delighted I discovered it and I’ll be book-marking and checking again often!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I created a version of this top and put it into a video how to. I also included a link to your original project.

    http://womantoanother.com/2012/07/28/mod-s-t-fashions-fashion-diy-of-the-week-quick-and-easy-mens-shirt-refashion/

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...