Image Map

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Burdastyle 152: A silk feather print shift dress


When the editors over at Burdastyle agreed to let me review one of their patterns for their blog today I was excited that they chose this simple shift dress because it is just the thing that Lily will actually wear. You see, I've made her dresses from vintage patterns which I just love.... 
 But now that she's a a little older she doesn't want to wear these styles anymore. I seem to have lost the kid who just went ahead and wore ANYTHING I MADE!
She was even happy to wear some of my dorkier  creations from when I first got back into sewing after a years long hiatus. Yes, it looks very HOMEMADE.... But I thought it was really good when I made it and she liked it!

This silk bias ruffle dress I designed for her when I was competing on Project Run & Play was beautiful, or at least I still think so. But sadly, she hasn't worn it because we haven't been invited to any fancy events lately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed... We love a good party!

So I have decided to get a little more realistic when it comes to sewing for her. I now ask her opinion throughout the process instead of just doing my own thing. 
And there is still her little sister, my current willing victim.

This is my version of Burdastyle # 152 from the November 2012 magazine issue, a pleated, sleeveless, mini dress with a yoke and neckband. I used the downloadable pattern available here in the pattern store and printed it out, the method I prefer since Burdstyle magazines are hard to find in California and I absolutely HATE unfolding those big pages, searching for all the lines amidst a jumble of chaos and somehow tracing the big mess.

Lily is getting to that age where a lot of the patterns out there are looking too babyish for her. One of the reasons I love Burdastyle kids patterns is because they are fashion forward,  current, yet age appropriate. Lily likes to go through the website and pick out fashionable styles for me to make her. It's a fun collaboration. 

This simple shift dress is chic yet super comfy for an older girl. I sewed it up in a feather print silk charmeuse that I bought on one of my trips to the LA garment district.
This pattern was really quick to sew up. I did make a modification to the pattern at the neckline, making  the neckband wider and cutting it on the bias to create a nice drape.

Some mothers I know online who sew for their kids are nervous about using more luxurious fabrics like silk. My advice is, don't be nervous when sewing with silk for children. They love the feel of it and there is always Oxi- clean! 
This fabric was also made into this blouse as well.

If you are going to take the time to make a hand made garment I think you should use the best fabric you are comfortable in investing in. I love the feel of silk in my hands.



So are you getting ready for your kids spring sewing yet?
If so, you may want to stop by Burdastyle. com
If you would like to see more sewing and craft related posts consider adding Sew Country Chick to your rss feed reader. Or follow with Facebook, Twitter, or Friend Connect!

27 comments:

  1. This is a fun little dress, and it does look very mature with that fabric, but not too much so. Just enough to make a growing girl feel beautiful and grown up and still keep her modesty. I love it, and I think it would work out in younger prints as well. I think it would make a great winter dress too, because you could layer it with a long sleeve underneath and leggings as she's done. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle. I did try out for the contest! I love me contest....

      Delete
  2. Oh, that's just gorgeous. I think you've sold me on this pattern with a silk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress and pictures- especially the last one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I have been working on my photography skills.

      Delete
  4. Love the style of dress and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That pattern is a great shape. And I love what you did with the neckline. It's perfect for that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! And I enjoy your blog, too. I've never really looked for the Burda kids patterns, but definitely will be now. Our oldest girl is five, and has had a definite opinion about her clothes since she was about two and a half. So, I NEVER make anything for her without asking her opinion for fabric and pattern, and she has very specific taste, lol. I usually spend as much or more on fabric for her clothes as I would for mine with the exception being that they don't use as much fabric, and I'm all for kids getting to wear nice material. Currently she's into novelty prints ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely adore that neckline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. It's pretty simple to make . Maybe I will be a tutorial if I remember.

      Delete
  8. I do love that feather dress, was knocked over when I saw it on FB the other day! So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love the drape of the dress in the silk. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is absolutely lovely! It looks wonderful on her!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful.. Love the silk and Lily looks adorable..
    On her dress, it looks like the sleeves hang down to make sleeves,
    [which I like better], did you alter the pattern here or do they just hang
    over to make sleeves?
    My middle grandaughter has reached that age too [how sad], the sweet little girl
    dresses are not for her anymore.It is really hard to find patterns for the in
    between ages , in the Big 4 pattern company.. I love this, so think I will try it.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Judy. I think the sleeves are a sort of dolman so they do hang over.

      Delete
    2. The sleeves do extend to go over the shoulder. There isn't a sleeve pattern and the shoulders extend.I think they may just be too wide for Lily but I like how it looks too.
      Oh and the smallest size is a size 7 which is a pretty accurate fit. i made Lily a 9.

      Delete
  12. Man alive I LOVE that fabric! It's lovely and the drape looks so luxurious! The pattern style is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love everything about this dress, Justine! Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is beautiful. Love the fabric and dress on her. Looks very age appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, this looks great !
    I really like the shape of this dress !

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great fit and fabric. I think you hit age appropriate and fashion forward right on the head!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this same top in pieces about half done right now! But I added the sleeves from #149. It will be fun to see how different they end up looking. I am using a twill, so the drape will definitely be different. ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the fabric and the fit is great! She looks like a little fashionista. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is GORGEOUS! I know just what you mean about Burda style childrens patterns - they are great! My children are still young enough to wear almost anything I sew them but my sewing skills have just reached a level now where I can be fairly confident of a reasonable result & so I have started useing more expensive fabrics. Currently I am working on an Easter day dress for my girls useing some Liberty Tana Lawn - I am very excited about it :) The lawn is beautiful to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I looooove that fabric and style!!!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...