Image Map

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

On sunflowers and growing up

Sunflowers and small children are memories of summer.

As the summer winds to an end and the children go back to school,
I am trying to enjoy these last days of summer
at home with my little one while the big kids are gone.

The sunflowers remind me that summer is fleeting, like childhood, and while the house always needs to be cleaned, a three year old wants to jump with you on the trampoline for only so long, then she is gone off to older childhood.

So I try to take the time and remember to play with her, even if I'm not always in the mood.
 Other things are really not as important as finding sticks to help her make a "campfire" and playing hide and go seek in the sunflowers.

I think I am feeling sad that my oldest is leaving for college soon.

This one above used to love to play for hours building fairy houses, and putting them down by the creek.
Her big sister used to make little notes and hide them in the little stick houses for her to find.
She had many little special spots around the yard where she played pretend games.

We planted all of these sunflowers as seeds in Spring. 
Isn't it amazing how fast they grow?
Kind of like children...


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Wowzers!!! They are the biggest sunflowers I have ever seen!!!! Magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous sunflowers. As a sunflower seed addict, they make me drool.
    Hey, at leat Gigi is still little and at everything is wonderful to her little girl eyes. I got a 19 year old who thinks he can live on his own and is moving out at the end of the month and a thirteen year old who thinks he is ready to move out the second he turns 18. All I have is my chihuahua puppy, a psychotic cat named Spider and my two bunnies who think I am just a treat dispensing robot.
    Life is still fantastic! Enjoy tiny Ms. Gigi while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVELY!!!! I am so in love with the dark burgundy colored sunflower! SO AMAZING! You have made me want to grow some just like that. :-)
    www.amystebbins.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a field of sunflowers near my house, actually I think it is a farm but I'm not sure. The sunflowers are about 5 feet tall. The ones in your picture are huge!!!They are beautiful. Enjoy the rest of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am feeling a little sad with school about to start for us here. I look back thru the pictures and huge milestones are made with each year. My son starts middle school this year. I love having my children home. I'm trying to be excited for them to return to school. I know they are anxious to spend their days with their friends again. I love being a mom. It's nice to hear the same devotion coming from another mother. I tell my husband all the time, we won't always be stepping over toys. I'm going to enjoy this because it won't be like this forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So poignant.
    Savor each moment.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...