Image Map

Friday, December 21, 2012

Draft Along: Button down Shirt & Link Up

So I finally got my button down pattern cut out, sewn up and finished and it doesn't fit!
I drafted the sleeves way too small and really messed up on the armhole.
Either I measured incorrectly or I drafted incorrectly or read the directions wrong.


As you can see from the photos, I had some strange wrinkling under the bust so I added some darts but that didn't really help as I then discovered the top was too tight and I had the familiar bustline pulling that I often get in button down shirts that are fitted.



In short I totally screwed this pattern up but that's Ok. I will have to draft another pattern as this one is really a fiasco!
I can always draft another with more ease but for the time being I've seen enough button down pattern action until next year , meaning until 2013.

So tell me, if you made a pattern too, how did it turn out?
I'm posting the link if you would like to post your projects!

If you would like to see more sewing and craft related posts consider adding Sew Country Chick to your rss feed reader. Or follow with Facebook, Twitter, or Friend Connect!

6 comments:

  1. I'm in the process of sewing mine, so we'll see. Still have to get my husband to take pictures of the projects and put them on flickr. Thanks for showing yours even though it didn't turn out as you hoped. It's encouraging to novices to see that everyone has times when things don't turn out as they planned, and we can just pick up and try again. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer, sorry it didn't work out this time around. I haven't even attempted the button down yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute!! LOVE the pattern!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my shirt! There are definitely things I could touch up or make better, but I'm calling it "good enough" and saying it's done, so I can be ready for the next pattern. Are you doing the dress next? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, so I went back and fixed the collar. Now it's really "good enough". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually had the same problems. I made it twice and both times my shirt was too tight and it looked, well, just not right. First time I thought that my fabric probably shrank from ironing. Next time, it was same. So, I gave up. I think the problem is with the should slope. I drafted a bodice sloper following Bunka instructions and noticed that the shoulder had a lot more slope than what I had for the button down shirt. Seeing your post gave me courage to try it again. But, this time I am going to use HSP to waist and Shoulder tip to waist measurements to get the shoulder tip right. Please let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...