Image Map

Friday, July 15, 2011

Thrift Store Redo: Adding Straps To a Dress

We were going to a Fourth of July party and I wanted to wear a red daytime dress. I found a cute J Crew dress at the thrift shop for three dollars but it was strapless and a bit too long. It fit perfectly, except I'm not comfortable in strapless dresses. 
Not every thrift shop find has to be an all out reconstruction.
I don't like the way a-line dresses look when they are below the knee on me so I cut off the bottom tier of ruffle off and turned it into straps. I added some pretty crochet trims from my stash and left the frayed edge on the strap to match the ruffles. and now it is a comfy summer dress!


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. Your straps look like they were always meant to be there - now that's an excellent fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done this too - I bought a maxi dress that was strapless and a bit too long. Strapless + toddler = wardrobe malfunction, so I just cut off the last layer of ruffles, re-hemmed and turned the excess into straps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @shannon&lulu,thanks!
    @sewing scientist. I didn't even consider that one, but true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very clever and turn out so pretty! You're amazing!

    love~mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dress is cute. the straps look great with the dress.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done. I love the layers. Beautiful girls.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...