Image Map

Friday, October 8, 2010

A busy sewing week

It was one of those weeks you have when you have kids and the school year is really starting to get in full swing. Grandma came to visit; our son had his first rock band gig at a church festival; we did a community cleanup with my daughter's scouting group; there was a baby shower to go to; I taught a beginning pattern making class to the high school girls' class; we attended a debate for my stepmother who is running for City Council; went to roller-skating day with the school; ( I'm thinking of joining the roller derby league if I can fit it in, but we'll save that for another post.) Not to mention driving to and from school, getting kids to musical theater and acting class and various friends houses. However, life is a bit easier when one of your kids is driving. But oh, did I mention how worried you get when that same kid starts driving? 
 I must have had an unusual burst of energy this last week because I also managed to sew up these things below. Life does have a way of getting out of balance though, and it wasn't until my mom came to visit that I looked at my house through her eyes and realized it was a MESS! I don't have the luxury of a sewing room, and even if I did I need to be in the middle of the house so I can keep an eye on my baby who is crawling through all the different rooms at any given moment.
 I've been collecting sweaters to recycle into baby sweaters for my Etsy shop and had the luck of hitting a sweater jackpot at a church rummage sale . Sweaters are piled up in my dining room as I write this post. I think I need to watch an episode of Hoarders to set me straight again! I always feel a compulsion to clean out a room after I watch that show. How many of you secretly fear becoming an old lady buried under thousands of pounds of junk with seventy five cats living with you? Flash to your grown children on the Oprah show crying and saying, "It all started when I was seven and my mom started dragging me to those Church Rummage Sales. The sweaters just started piling up around her..."
An example of the A-line skirt I am teaching girls to  make a pattern for  and sew up. I used some vintage fabric I bought at a Flea Market. It was a flour sack.

G wearing the Jackie O sweater I made from an adult sweater. Somehow she doesn't look very Jackie Oish right now!
The Jackie O sweater with bias trim from Liberty of London

Some kimono sleeve pajamas I adapted from  the pattern in an Amy Butler Sewing Book.

Love the Breyer Horse print!

L in the Flutter Mushroom Dress. I used a pattern I bought  from McCalls 6063 pattern.

I added an applique and gathered pocket. This will be selling in my jumbleberri Etsy shop. I love the little deers and mushrooms on this fabric.

The Aflutter sweater made from an ugly man's sweater.  My sleeves seem to be flying away this week.
G in the Aflutter sweater.


Linking some of these projects to:


Visit thecsiproject.com







1 comment:

  1. I love your refashioned sweaters! Great idea!

    I would love if you came and linked this project to my clothes upcycling page. It has a long term linky, so your project would stay there for more than just the week of a usual linky. We have over 60 projects linked up now – some fantastic ideas – and this month I’m upcycling lots of clothes and trying to feature lots of the links too!
    Do come and take a look!
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/p/clothes-upcycling-projects.html

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...