Image Map

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Simplicity 2147 from 1947



1947 Simplicity 2171.




Today is the first day of the Me Made June Challenge I signed up for on SoZo. This is going to be interesting for me as I much prefer showing photos of my daughters in outfits than of myself.  You will be seeing my mug a lot in the next month since I have pledged to wear and document a hand sewn item everyday for the month of June. I thought I would show off this vintage pattern I made from Simplicity 2171 from 1947 in a cotton swiss dot for my first day on the challenge. I got the fabric for free as it was leftover from a play I costumed and I thought I would try it with the 1940's housedress pattern above. It wasn't an easy pattern to make, that's for sure. These old patterns are a lot more complicated than patterns today and it's been years since I've made something with a collar! I added an invisible zipper instead of a placket and the dress ties into a sweet bow in the back. To tell you the truth I feel like I'm wearing a nurse costume when I wear this!
 I'm not so sure I'm sold on it. I feel sort of matronly in it.
To read my history of the humble house dress post click here. To see all the entries in the Me Made June Flickr group click here.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. haha! Cute! All you're missing are your pearls. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Half the time when I am reading blogs it is on my iPhone, and it is tough to comment, but I had to come back from the pc and tell you that you and your dress look positively gorgeous! I would love to have one like this! It looks so light and comfortable without sacrificing style, and the fabric is just lovely. Beautiful job, Justine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think it's beautiful!! Just found your blog through Sew Retro and am enjoying your archives. :) I love finding stylin vintage bloggers who are (ahem) *my age*. hee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been browsing your blog - so many great projects! I love this dress : ) The print is light and pretty...with a modern Suzy Homemaker style ; )

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...