Image Map

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How to make a baby sweater from an adult sweater


First you need some adult size sweaters. These are two old cashmere sweaters that didn't fit well. I washed them in hot water and dried them to felt them. Cashmere doesn't really shrink up that much.  It took awhile to get the lint off the brown one.


Next you need a sweater pattern for your baby. There weren't any baby sweater size patterns at Joanns so I cut up a sweater her size that was 50 cents from the thrift shop  and traced it to paper . I laid the pattern on the ribbing so I didn't have to do any hemming on the sleeves or hem. I still had enough sweater left to make something else too. Maybe some matching leggings from the sleeves?

Sew together the sleeves and side seams with a zig zag stitch.

This is the sewn together sweater. Now I needed to finish the edges of the front and the neckline.


I made some bias tape and pinned it on. The bias tape needed to be sewn on by hand . The machine stretches the edge out too much.


Here is Gigi in her new sweater. I sewed on a pretty bird applique and wooden button. Doesn't she look cozy?

2 comments:

  1. Lovely sweater!!, she looks cozy and adorable...
    What kind of machine do you use? I am getting one and before I make my choice I am trying to research

    Thnks

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Your comments are really appreciated and fun for me to read! If you have a question I usually respond via e- mail which is easier for me, being a busy mom. Please don't leave anonymous comments, instead just put your name in the Name/ URL box if you don't have an account. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...